The south corner of the front. Refer to the building footprint photo, above, to see the relationship of the house-like structure on the left to the building as a whole.
The north end and back of the building, looking southeast from the water tower, with Fletcher Hospital visible on far end. From "The Siggins Album," circa 1900. (Courtesy of the Local History Room of The Kalamazoo Public Library.)
Aerial view, circa 1930.
Located just south of the centerline (marked by the water tower), this area included The Male Department, Burns Cottage, and The Clinical Pathology building. (Click on the tags at the end of this post to see all posts including a particular building.)
The Male Department was one of two Kirkbride Plan buildings constructed at the asylum, the other being the original structure, which was redefined as the Female Department once the Male Department was built. By the time the original asylum was completed in 1869, the asylum was already running out of space for patients, so the Male Department was completed by 1872.
Unlike the area behind the Female Department, where most of the asylum’s service buildings were constructed, from 1860 through 1948, there were only Burns Cottage and Clinical Pathology behind the Male Department. (Much earlier, there had been a barn and the first ice house.)
Below are a comparison of a 1970 map, a 1950s aerial view, and a 2012 satellite view.
The same area in 2012.