The front (north) and east sides. From "The Siggins Album," circa 1900. (Courtesy of the Local History Room of The Kalamazoo Public Library.) Burns Cottage was located behind the Male Department building.
The front (north) and west side. Fletcher Hospital is visible to the right, the back of the Male Department to the left. (Scanned from "Kalamazoo Lost and Found" (Kalamazoo Historic Preservation Commission, 2001).)
The front and east side, circa 1975, photographed from the roof of the Quadrangle building. The Clinical Pathology building is in the background. (From the Clarence Shrier Collection, courtesy Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections.)
The south side, with the water tower and the Female Department cupolas.
Aerial photo (circa 1969-1975) clockwise from top left: 1965 chapel, administration/quadrangle/water tower, Male Department, Burns Cottage, Mary Muff Hospital. Map below reverses the perspective.
When the Male Department building was demolished in 1975,
Burns Cottage became visible from Oakland Drive. It remained for 13 more years.
In 1988, three of the four remaining old buildings on the south end of the
asylum were torn down: Burns Cottage, Fletcher Hospital, and Edwards Hospital.
The fourth and last building, Noble Lodge, stood until 2013.